A total of 669 Krishi Vijyan Kendra’s (KVK) has been established till date (30-03-2017)
The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs, chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has recently approved the proposal of the Department of Agricultural Research and Education(DARE) for continuation / strengthening, upto 2019-20.
KVKs would act as knowledge and resource centre in the field of agriculture in the district and would build models of technology uptake and farmers’ empowerment leading to support Government of India’s initiative of doubling farmers’ income.
The special programmes that shall be initiated through the KVK Scheme are:
- A Network Project on New Extension Methodologies and Approaches; Nutri-sensitive Agricultural Resources and Innovations (NARI);
- Programs tilted Knowledge Systems and Homestead Agriculture Management in Tribal Areas (KSHAMTA),
- Value Addition and Technology Incubation Centres in Agriculture (VATICA),
- Farm Innovation Resource Management (FIRM) and
- Establishment of Agricultural Technology Information Centre(ATIC)
Besides, Rain Water Harvesting, Integrated Farming System (IFS) Processing, Fish seed production, ICT enabled services, green agriculture and strengthening of soil health program shall also be supported. Further two important programmes approved include the Farmer FIRST at 52 centres and Attracting and Retaining Youth in Agriculture (ARYA) for 100 Districts.